Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Articles/Interviews with Emily

2 posters

Go down

Articles/Interviews with Emily Empty Articles/Interviews with Emily

Post  Bailey Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:39 pm

This thread is for articles and interviews with Emily that focus mainly on her charity work and passion for various causes. Smile

Link: http://www.ecorazzi.com/2010/05/20/actress-emily-deschanel-praises-farm-sanctuary-and-the-vegan-movement/

Actress Emily Deschanel Praises Farm Sanctuary And The Vegan Movement
Michael Parrish DuDell @ 10:59 am

May 20th 2010

Have we told you lately that we’re crazy about Emily Deschanel? Because we’re absolutely crazy about Emily Deschanel!

Besides being hella talented, the Bones actress is notorious for her outspoken opinions on animal welfare, human health and environmental sustainability. In a new video interview, Deschanel praises the work of Farm Sanctuary, saying:

“A few years ago I was able to visit Farm Sanctuary’s New York shelter — I had probably been vegan for over 10 years by then — and it was still a life-changing experience. You get to see all of these animals [who were] raised in factories and confined to crates and they’re living free on this amazing property. There’s just so much space for them to roam and they’re treated so well.”

We’ve also spent some time at the New York shelter and can verify its transformative powers!

Check out the video below to see more of what Emily has to say about Farm Sanctuary and veganism. As always, she doesn’t disappoint!

Bailey
Bailey
Admin

https://emilydeschanel.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Articles/Interviews with Emily Empty Re: Articles/Interviews with Emily

Post  Bailey Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:54 pm

From Good: Environment

Link: http://www.good.is/post/talking-with-emily-deschanel/

Talking with Emily Deschanel

Best known for her role as the forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan on the hit TV show Bones, actress Emily Deschanel's focus is slightly different in the real world. A vegan since her teen years, Deschanel is an outspoken advocate for a number of animal rights causes including working towards ending factory farming and speaking out about the Great Ape Protection Act.

Read on to learn more about activists that inspire Deschanel, an earth shaking slumber party, and her favorite vegan treat.

GOOD: You've expressed that veganism can help protect the environment. Can you elaborate on this?

EMILY DESCHANEL: There was a study by the UN that shocked even me, a vegan for 17 years. It said the factory farm business was worse for the environment than all of transportation in the world combined—buses, trains, planes, cars, all of them. That is huge! Everyone is concerned about driving hybrid vehicles, but not many people realize that the food they eat every day is much worse for Mother Earth. Right now most of the grains grown in our country are fed to farm animals. It takes a lot more grain to feed an animal over it’s lifetime before it is killed for food, than it does to feed that grain directly to humans. Not to mention the runoff from the factories which pollute water sources, like rivers.

Also, farm animals produce 130 times more waste than humans. These are just a few reasons why being a vegan/vegetarian helps the environment, and why I encourage people to at least eat less meat. It can also help your health to become vegan. If people want more information on becoming vegetarian/vegan or eating less meat in a healthy way, check out goveg.com

G: How did you get involved with The Great Ape Protection Act?

ED: I got involved after talking to people at Physicains Committee for Responsible Medicine, an organization I greatly admire. The act would end the use of chimpanzees in invasive research in the US. Right now there are about 1,000 chimps forced to live in labs where they are separated as babies from their mothers, kept in captivity, inflicted with physical harm, and isolated from other animals or humans. It is no way to live. Most of the apes who have been in these kinds of facilities show signs of physical and emotional trauma. These are such fantastic animals and we can’t let them live in pain like this. There are many alternatives to these cruel practices that don’t involve harming animals. People can support the Great Ape Act on the PCRM website by telling your representative to support the legislation, here.

G: Who are some activists that inspire you?

ED: I want to mention my friend Lisa Shannon who started Run for Congo Women and just wrote a book about her experience called A Thousand Sisters. It shows us all how we can make a difference in the world, even when it seems so overwhelming, and so far away. She started a 30-mile run to raise money for women in the Congo. Lisa is fearless, she visits war torn Congo regularly.

There are so many! One of my heroes was the late Gretchen Wyler, who was actress on Broadway for many years and then turned her sights on animal rights. She started the Genesis Awards among other things, which celebrates the media for shedding light on animal issues. I also admire Zainab Salbi, the founder of Women for Women International. She came from a volatile background (her father was Saddam Hussain’s pilot), and she’s dedicated her life to helping and empowering women in war-torn countries throughout the world.

G: You’re pretty actively involved with PETA. How do you handle people who view members of PETA as extremists?

ED: I understand why people think that. Sometimes PETA makes statements that seem pretty extreme, but it’s important to realize that many victories for the animals were aided by PETA. They are very savvy about using the media to get attention for issues that people may not otherwise be aware of. Even I don’t always agree with what PETA or other organizations do or say, but I understand their importance in the movement. If you don’t agree with any particular organization, you don’t have to work with them. Don’t let it stop you getting involved; you can support a less controversial organization like the Humane Society.

G: What advice do you have for our readers who want to start or maintain a sustainable lifestyle?

ED: Start with baby steps and build from there. If you fall off the wagon, get right back on without reprimanding yourself. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. Once you master one habit, add another one. Maybe start with recycling, then begin a compost bin, change your light bulbs to compact flourents, start reusing bags, change your diet one item at a time. Be kind but persistent with yourself. Maybe no one will notice if you don’t reuse your canvas bag at the grocery store, but it will make a difference to the earth if you keep forgetting.

G: You starred in a great "Funny or Die" video with a group of Hollywood starlets that depicted a slumber party interrupted by paparazzi. Do you have any funny slumber party stories from growing up?

ED: The one that sticks in my mind the most was actually my sister’s birthday slumber party. The 1994 Los Angeles earthquake happened that night, and there were about 10 13-year-old girls there. One of the girls cried out my name for help. I was upstairs in my bedroom. It was pretty terrifying. Luckily, nobody was hurt, and I think only one glass broke. I guess that’s not really funny.

G: We read that you don't necessarily like taking medication. What is your favorite, most effective natural home remedy?

ED: If I needed meds, I would take them, but I do believe some pills are over-prescribed. Also, so many over-the-counter drugs have unpleasant side affects that may not show up for a long time. If I get a headache the first thing I do is drink some water or coconut water. Hydration is a common cause for headaches. Then I check to see if I have been clenching my jaw. I look for the cause instead of covering the symptoms up with medication. Modern medicine has saved many people’s lives, but I do believe in doing research and looking for alternatives before taking something.

G: How did you first learn about veganism and what compelled you to take it up?

ED: I saw a documentary called Diet For a New America based on the book of the same title by John Robbins. I became a vegetarian immediately, and then became a vegan two years later. It sheds light on factory farms and their negative impact on all of us.

G: What is your favorite vegan dessert recipe?

ED: I am obsessed with the peanut butter cups from Alica Silverstone’s new book called The Kind Diet. So tasty! I use raw almond butter.

G: In an interview with Women’s Health you said, and I quote, “I think I can convince anyone to become a vegetarian.” What would you say to hard rock guitarist Ted Nugent, who is known for his conservative political views and his vocal pro-hunting and Second Amendment activism?

ED: I don’t know why I said that! I don’t proselytise, but if someone asks I am happy to discuss being vegan, because I so believe in it. Sometimes I wish I was bolder. I think I would start with the health angle with someone like that, because they obviously don’t seem to believe animals have feelings (which they do, if anyone is questioning it). There is a book called The China Study which discusses the largest nutritional study in history. They set out to determine that animal protein was healthy, but the results were the opposite. Sometimes people need to be grabbed by the health angle. I like to let facts speak for themselves.

G: If you could say one thing to President Obama, what would it be?

ED: That’s too hard a question to answer late at night. There are too many things!
Bailey
Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bailey Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Article from October 2009

Link: http://www.ecorazzi.com/2009/10/16/vegetarian-awareness-month-exclusive-bones-star-emily-deschanel/

Vegetarian Awareness Month Exculsive: "Bones" star Emily Deschanel

Emily Deschanel is one of those charitable celebrities that just keeps on giving! Through her work with organizations like Farm Sanctuary, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, and PETA, Deschanel is winning hearts and minds, and changing the world in a big way!

It’s been a while since we chatted with Em and couldn’t think of a better celeb to feature during Vegetarian Awareness Month. Check out our exclusive interview with the talented actress below and find out just why we think she’s so grand!

Ecorazzi: How long have you been vegetarian/vegan?

Emily Deschanel: Vegan for 16 years, baby!!

E: What first inspired you to adopt this diet?

ED: The documentary and book “Diet For a New America.”

E: In three words tell me why you’re a vegetarian/vegan.

ED: Animals, earth, health – in that order.

E: What’s been the most rewarding part of going VEG?

ED: Feeling that my lifestyle is in line with my values and morals.

E: What’s been the most challenging?

ED: Traveling. I don’t have a problem in LA or New York, and a few other cities, but Europe can be a challenge. In Spain the “vegetarian restaurants” have meat!! It’s a great thing that now there are so many resources online to help you find places to eat all over the world.

E: What’s one tip you’d give for somebody who might be interested in transitioning to a more plant-based diet?

ED: I really believe in the Kathy Freston technique of doing things slowly and removing one thing from your diet at a time. Be kind to yourself. If you’re eating vegan most of the time, that’s a lot better than most people.

E: If you had the chance to meet one person who you’ve found specifically instrumental in the vegetarian community – dead or alive, past or present – who would it be and why?

ED: Well, I think I already met her. Rory Freedman. She reached so many people who would never have considered being vegan or vegetarian through her Skinny Bitch books. People picked up those books just wanting to lose weight, and they got educated about factory farming and the negative effects of animal products on our bodies, to the animals, and to the environment. She is such an animal rights hero!

E: In just a sentence, what/who is your favorite:

Food: Veggie soup (it’s getting colder in LA — soup keeps you warm.)
Restaurant: Madeleine Bistro in LA.
Book: The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen.
Product: Dr. Cow cheese.
Designer: Stella McCartney.
Celebrity: Alicia Silverstone (she was the original- gotta love her!).

A great big thank you to Emily Deschanel for taking the time to sit down with us for a chat. Don’t forget to check out Bones every Thursday at 8/7c on Fox. Happy Vegetarian Awareness Month!!
Bailey
Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bailey Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Emily & Rory Freedman talk about their Earth Day dream date from 2009

Link: http://girliegirlarmy.com/blog/20090421/emily-deschanel-and-rory-freedman-fantasize-about-their-dream-earth-day-date/

BLOGApril 21st, 2009
Emily Deschanel and Rory Freedman Fantasize About Their Dream Earth Day Date!
Emily Deschanel (Bones) and Rory Freedman (Skinny Bitch) are BFF’s, and one of their common bonds is their love of animals and the earth (and of course GirlieGirl Army). We asked them what their perfect friend date would be in celebration of Earth Day, and this is what they told us;

Rory Freedman: B-b-b-b-b-b-b-bones! Boner, you’d drive, since you have a Prius. Bring those 80’s CD’s I gave you so we could sing our little vegan hearts out. First stop: trapeze school on the Santa Monica pier! It’s one version of man-made fun that doesn’t leave any carbon footprint. You swing around in the air confronting your fear of heights and bodily harm. It’s an amazing workout where you get to be outside, enjoy the fresh air, see the ocean, feel young, and get manhandled by hot guys. When we’re done playing Circus of the Stars, we can go stuff our faces at Golden Mean Cafe, the new vegan spot in Santa Monica that’s all the buzz. The food is ridiculously good, there’s an upstairs mediation/reading room, the space is really Zen (the walls are infused with crushed quartz crystal, selenite, mica, gold, and incense), and the owner and head chef couldn’t be sweeter.

Emily Deschanel: Ooh I can’t wait! I’ve been dying to do trapeze school, and I haven’t been to that restaurant yet!! You know we both love vegan food!!! I wonder what the crystals in the walls will do for us.. We’ll probably feel all centered and new-age-y. We can then take a stroll to work off our huge meal with a little retail therapy stop at Hidden Treasures Vintage clothing store in Topanga canyon. It’s located in what looks like a pirate’s house. When I was in high school, my friend Echo found a dress there and the tag said “free.” How many stores do you know that give away clothes?? Buying vintage will take less of an environmental toll. After that, we can drive down to the beach, slap on some Jurlique sun block, put on our sun hats, maybe put up a huge umbrella(don’t want wrinkles or skin cancer) throw down our Nandina pool lounge towels made from bamboo and organic cotton (they dry quicker than regular towels, and are made of a renewable resources) and hang out reading magazines (of course we will donate them to a women’s shelter when we are done). Maybe participate in a beach clean up with Heal The Bay.

Rory: Oh, soooo fun! Although I’m not gonna lie: I’m gonna want to get a little sun. But just a little. As far as the magazines go, VegNews is a must. And of course wondering if we’ll have a copy of Health Magazine with that GORG cover you just did!!! I was at a nail salon in NYC when I first saw it and was so excited! Beautiful pics and great interview! Was so proud of my girl! Now, this is probably too ambitious but, if we have any energy left after trapeze, the feeding frenzy, shopping, and beaching, we can try surfing lessons from the sweet dames at Surf Like a Girl. We’ll play it by ear. We will, however, be planning in advance for our hydration needs. Obvs, we’ll be drinking the good stuff AND revering Mother Earth by drinking water from our resuable stainless steel water bottles. Enough is enough with plastic water bottle bullshit, already. Getting a resuable bottle is s uch a simple, easy, cheap way that everyone can make a big diff. BTW: While at the beach, we’ll have to call our other soul sister, Chloé, and continue to beg her to move to LA to be with us. Three Libras togeths…could you die?!

Emily: Thanks, Ror! I always love reading your column in VegNews. Best mag ever!! Always wanted to learn to surf. Let’s do it!! Of course we’ll have energy! When Chloé agrees to move over to the Left coast, we can pack up our matching Matt & Nat bags (I am not kidding, we have matching bags! A very generous gift from the bitch herself) and head back to my place for a vegan potluck with our fabulous friends . Some wine and Dr. Cow cheese. We can even dine in candlelight to save energy (very romantic). We love A Scent of Scandale. candles, Roll in the Hay scent!

Rory: Um, hullo?! Don’t forget…it’s a vegan potluck AND game night with our magical friends! Our friends just better hope we’re not on the same team…the Bitch and the Boner…unstoppable!

Emily: So true. So true.

Bailey
Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Belle Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:14 pm

I've been thinking about going vegetarian now for the past few years. More entertaining the idea.

As it stands today - i've been vegetarian for almost 4 months. I know that's not long, and its not vegan, but you gotta understand where I come from.

My immediate and extended family are BIG meat eaters. And I have to admit, b4 making the change to vegatarian, I too was a big meat eater. Although having said that, there are two important things to mention here; I never really enjoyed eating meat, and I don't miss eating meat now!

I think it was just the convenience of it. My husband loves his meat, and I dont believe in changing his eating choices - that's his decision to make.
So I still cook meat, and serve it to both my husband, and son. My son is almost 2, and I want him to make his own choice about this later on in life. I will however talk to him about my reasons for having my lifestyle.

I have put in my first vegetable garden this year, with around 7-8 different veggies, and I cant wait to use them. I've had a compost bin for about 4-5 years, and use it in my flower and veggie garden. We dont have plastic bags in my household, and I make my own fabric softener and other cleaning products, which are so much more pleasent on the environment.....AND CHEAPER!

I have such a good feeling from going vegetarian - and feel even better from inspiring and motivating my best girlfriend to cut out alot of meat from her and her families diet. She completely supports my passion and reasons for doing so - and hopes to one day go vego!!!!

PS - I did not go vegetarian because of Emily - but she did make me aware of my eating habits. I think that what she's doing is so inspirational! It's one of the best kinds of good deeds. I would be more receptive to someone preaching food and diet, as apposed to religion!.........And there's food for thought! cheers
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post  Bailey Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Belle wrote:I've been thinking about going vegetarian now for the past few years. More entertaining the idea.

As it stands today - i've been vegetarian for almost 4 months. I know that's not long, and its not vegan, but you gotta understand where I come from.

My immediate and extended family are BIG meat eaters. And I have to admit, b4 making the change to vegatarian, I too was a big meat eater. Although having said that, there are two important things to mention here; I never really enjoyed eating meat, and I don't miss eating meat now!

I think it was just the convenience of it. My husband loves his meat, and I dont believe in changing his eating choices - that's his decision to make.
So I still cook meat, and serve it to both my husband, and son. My son is almost 2, and I want him to make his own choice about this later on in life. I will however talk to him about my reasons for having my lifestyle.

I have put in my first vegetable garden this year, with around 7-8 different veggies, and I cant wait to use them. I've had a compost bin for about 4-5 years, and use it in my flower and veggie garden. We dont have plastic bags in my household, and I make my own fabric softener and other cleaning products, which are so much more pleasent on the environment.....AND CHEAPER!

I have such a good feeling from going vegetarian - and feel even better from inspiring and motivating my best girlfriend to cut out alot of meat from her and her families diet. She completely supports my passion and reasons for doing so - and hopes to one day go vego!!!!

PS - I did not go vegetarian because of Emily - but she did make me aware of my eating habits. I think that what she's doing is so inspirational! It's one of the best kinds of good deeds. I would be more receptive to someone preaching food and diet, as apposed to religion!.........And there's food for thought! cheers

Thanks for sharing your story Belle!

About 5 weeks ago I started doing meatless Mondays because of an interview Emily gave about how just foregoing meat one day a week could make a huge positive impact on the environment. It made a lot of sense and didn't seem like much to ask. Then, I started watching some of the videos out there about factory farming and other issues. It really is an eye opener. This past week after Monday, I realized I could actually do pretty good without meat. Lol. Aside from one meal I haven't had any meat since last Sunday. I can't say that I'm trying to eat less meat because of Emily but because of the information I've read because of her. If that makes sense. It's like, after hearing what she's said and doing research on my own, I realize she's right.

I'm not going so far as to say I'm vegeterian at this point, when someone asks I say "I'm trying to eat less meat." I've had some medical issues for a while, stomach stuff not to go into detail, and I have to say meat has always been a big trigger for my symptoms, so I can see a difference in that with not eating meat. So that's just another reason for me to do this.

As far as going vegan, I'm not sure I could ever do that, at least not completely ... I figure I'll just keep making small steps like I have been and see how far I end up going. Smile
Bailey
Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down